Friday, October 5, 2012

Fall EQ Blog Hop - Using PrePrinted Panels

Thanks to SewCalGal for asking us to share our EQ7 (Electric Quilt) experiences with other quilters.  If you haven't had a chance I encourage you to check out the other blogs from earlier this week.

Monday, Oct lst

SewCalGal

Beaquilter

Tuesday, Oct 2nd

Marjorie's Quilting Bee

Curious Orange Cat

Wed., Oct 3rd

Love Bug Studios

Thursday, Oct 4th

Kissed Quilts

Bits and Pieces

Friday, Oct 5th

I Quilt Scarlet and Gray (That's Me)

EQ Blog
I purchased EQ7 back in May of 2010. I have another quilt design package, but decided to purchase EQ7 when I saw all the positive feedback. My first quilt that I designed took about 4 hours and I only contacted tech support once! I took 2 blocks from the Eleanor Burns Quilt Blocks on American Barns book and created a quilt based on a picture in the book. Using the block instructions the first time out helped me when designing the blocks, sashing and borders.



I use EQ7 for pattern testing, wall hangings, quilts, totes and labels. The majority of my projects are rotary cut and machine piecing.

I have a tough time visualizing how my quilts will look, so I download or scan fabric to use in EQ7.  This allows me the ability to actually see what my quilt will look like.   When working with fabrics you have downloaded into EQ7 you may have adjust the size to get the fabric to look right in your quilt.  I design the quilt and then play with the fabric placement as much as I want.

To make a quilt using pre-printed panels you have to start by deciding what size you will be trimming the panel to.



Sea of Dreams by South Sea Imports

This is the center of a baby quilt that I worked on this summer.  I was able to find it on the web and then imported it into EQ7 as a photo.  Marlene's post for the Fall EQ blog at Kissed Quilts explains how to manipulate your image within EQ7.

I created a custom quilt with a center layout of 22.5" x 41", then I started adding borders.
 I new I wanted to use 6" finished blocks in my outside border, so I had to add skinny borders of 1" and .75" around the panel to get the center to the proper size of 24.5" x 42.5".

By importing the panel as a photo I could set it onto the layout and then adjust it to the proper size.


Then I added the borders


and then the Twinkling Star and Animal blocks.


What I love about EQ7 is the ability to change colors and fabrics and to move blocks around. 

Here are a couple other panels I recently worked with.

 
Haunted Hallow 2 by Red Rooster


Becky Silbaugh at Ruby Blue Quilts recently posted pictures of the above table runner being quilted.

I have used this same technique to add stiched centers to my designs.  I took a picture of the stiching and then cropped it and imported it.


 I actually enlarged the the stiching pattern and then printed it on to EQ Printable fabric.

I hope I have answered some of your questions on using panel fabric in EQ, contact me if you have any other questions.








39 comments:

Aunt Marti said...

What a timely post -- I won a copy of EQ7 earlier this summer in a giveaway, and just bought a Fall (sunflowers and pumpkins) panel last night. I want to make a wall hanging for my sister. Thanks for the tutorial!

Unknown said...

Would not have thought to use with panel. Seeing how the borders work is great. Thanks for sharing.
Sally@BabyStepsQuilting.com

LeAnne said...

I didn't realize I could import pictures of a panel and use it. I have EQ6 and may need to upgrade to 7. I'll have to check that out. Thanks for the tutorial.

DianneB said...

Thanks for sharing with us. I love the center panels you used. Is it from Whimiscals?

Lori said...

Your quilts are fantastic. Thanks for sharing.

Pamela said...

Love your work. Thanks for sharing!

SewCalGal said...

Oh Darlene, what an inspirational post. And, I can't get over all the beautiful quilts you have designed using EQ7 too. Absolutely stunning. I have a couple of panels that I will pursue your approach of using EQ7 to design my layout. Thank you!

SewCalGal
www.sewcalgal.blogspot.com

Connie Kresin Campbell said...

Thanks for the great tutorial for working with panels!

Karen in Breezy Point said...

Great idea! I have several panels, and I am going to give this a try. Thanks!

beebop said...

I really liked the instructions for using a panel. Thanks.

Marlene @ KISSed Quilts . com said...

So fun....and I love the dimension in the pinwheel design.

Jennie P. said...

That's pretty smart. I wouldn't have thought to do that.

Kay said...

I think this is helpful info for designing a medallion quilt, too. I have some large embroidered squares that I made waaaay too long ago and I think they would make great medallion centers for quilts. You have just provided me with a design template. Thanks!

Nanbon44 said...

Love the way the quilts came out with the borders...

I Quilt Scarlet and Gray said...

I have updated the blog with the fabric names. Sea of Dreams by South Sea Imports and Haunted Hallow 2 by Red Rooster.

Fleurette said...

Your panel quilts are beautiful! thanks for the great tutorial.

Sally said...

Hi Darlene, I'm the designer of the original Stars Galore that was in El's book (and on tv, in Quilt magazin, etc) Glad you liked it enough to duplicate (without the stars in the sashing)!
Clever to use a panel to start a design in EQ--I'll have to try that!

I Quilt Scarlet and Gray said...

I just love how the web can bring people together!! Sally thanks for visiting my blog and for inspiring me to make my Stars and Stripes Allover quilt!!

Ramona said...

I haven't tried quilting software yet but have looked at EQ7. I like the fact you can import the fabric swatches. Like you, I want to see the fabrics in the pattern. Thanks for talking us through a design.

Jocelyn said...

Very interesting. I am amazed at what can be accomplished using EQ.

Pokey said...

Oh, my, wouldn't that be nice, to have assistance with the math on a busy border? This is really a good lesson, thank you for sharing!
:-}pokey

QuiltSue said...

What a clever idea to import photos of panels, I never thought of that, and it opens up various possibilities, like using personal photos of family, stitchery, etc. Thank you.

Lisa England said...

Wow, EQ can do a lot of things! Thanks for sharing.

Marjorie said...

Great idea for printed panels. I have taken photos of other fabrics, but not panels - but I use panels a lot. Will definitely try this.

Joanna said...

I'm glad you shared your creative process with us. It looks as if you make good use of your EQ package. The designs you posted are super.

Sarah Vanderburgh said...

Thanks for showing all of the ideas of how to design with the panels. I've never seen anyone discuss this option before.

Lisa Cox said...

I've heard some wonderful things about EQ7 this week. I'm going to put it on my wish list. Maybe I'll get lucky and win a copy, or my husband will say OK and I can buy it.
Thanks for the demo.

Kathryn said...

I wouldn't have thought that this software would be good with panels, but I see that it's great for border designs. Thanks.

Terrie Sandelin said...

I like to import images and fabrics at times as well. I love how many variations you showed of how to work the panels into a quilt. So inspiring!

In stitches and seams said...

I have a couple panles to try this out on .... thanks for sharing
in stitches

Bente-I like to QuiltBlog said...

Thanks for sharing, very interesting!
Liebe Grüße
Bente

teachpany said...

Great ideas. I have a panel I worked on but didn't upload the photo. Next time I will! Thanks.

Ariane said...

I love the border ideas with the panels!! Thanks for the inspiration!!!

Donna Joy said...

I have lots of baby quilt panels and your ideas for borders is just whati needed thanks.

Jenny L said...

Thanks for this very helpful blog. It looks really amazing.

Unknown said...

Thanks so much for the tutorial on EQ and I would love to win it.
farmcrafty

Unknown said...

Unbelievable what you can do with EQ7...I don't have it but maybe one of these days...thanks for the info

Anonymous said...

Great job! Panels are always a challenge, so this is very helpful!

Karen said...

Great post, and how wonderful to see your name in the EQ newsletter. Congrats!