Saturday, August 25, 2012

Feathered Star Quilt - Step 1 - Judy and Brad Niemeyer

Judy and Brad Niemeyer released some new patterns last week at the Checker's Open House.  I left a message for Beth at Cottonpickers Quilt Shop and requested that she save/order one for me.  Cottonpickers is now a certified Judy and Brad Niemeyer quilt shop!!  This means that Beth and Becky are working on a number of patterns so that they can offer classes this Winter!!!
 
It's the Feathered Star which is 60" x 60"
 
 
When you first look at this quilt you don't see a number of fabrics, but there are actually around 13-15 different ones.
 
The pattern is divided into 5 chapters and each one includes detailed instructions.  You start in the middle and work your way out.  All paper piecing is to be completed before any units are sewn together. 
 
I started looking throught my batik fabric stash last night and selected fabric for the 1st Chapter which includes the inner accent star.
 
 
Each chapter seems to include dark, medium and light fabrics.
 
I will be using a number of the fabrics from my Desert Sky quilt with some additions.
 
My biggest fear when starting a pattern is the selection of the fabrics.
 
This image is from EQ7 and uses the 4 fabrics I selected.
 
 
I think my selection of the star fabrics will work!!!
 
I will continue to update as this quilt comes together!!

1 comment:

beaquilter said...

stunning quilts and great job in EQ, it looks SO real :-) can't wait to see it when you make it